First things first: I am officially allowed to sell journals at the Redmond Saturday Market now. And, to sweeten that reality, three of my journals sold last week. Which, while validating, sent me into a panic about needing to make more. So, this week has been about collaging. I have to admit that I felt no small amount of panic knowing that what I create will be “out there” for people to judge with their dollars—or not. Never mind that that’s how it is and has been with my jewelry for years now.
Here’s where one moment of distraction will lead to some serious heartbreak. I want this to be the front, and the I punched the holes on the wrong side of each cover. Oh, Stephanie!
The interesting thing is that one of my fellow vendors, who served as a judge on my three-person jury, gave me a lot of unsolicited advice. Some of it was good: shut the car’s hatch, put down a rug or some such and don’t let people be distracted by stuff beyond your booth.
So, I ironed my big plastic banner and bought some astro turf. We’ll see what a difference those to things do or do not make.
But then he went on to say that jewelers are everywhere and I should focus on journals and less on the jewelry. I was kind of miffed about that. My stuff if not unique to the world; however, it’s different from what the other jewelers at RSM have to offer.
It did lead me to wonder (again) if I should focus on just two or three types of jewelry. But what would I give up? Not resin or beads or dried flowers or metal or clay. I do think that I can remove some of the small-ticket items. Perhaps that’s the key.
Anywho, now that I’ve mentioned clay, here are some of this week’s experiments. More crackle paint on clay.
Even better, richer colors. I remember how hopeful I was that the resin wouldn’t remove the ink color. Instead, it darkened it up.
I’m kind of gutted that the alcohol ink darkened up so much. The gray and red were so lovely before. I feel OK about the blue and silver piece. Now I need a follow-up test to see if spraying them with a sealant will help. I wonder if anyone has every put resin over something sealed with Renaissance Wax? Or Tim Holtz’s Mircro Glaze.
Speaking of Tim Holtz, I’ve watched plenty of his videos this week. From Distress Crayons to the sprays and products in between, making more than the occasional collage has really open up my world. I’ve worried more than once that I’ll lose interest in jewelry, but I really don’t think that’s possible. And, just this morning two bead-embroidery pendants were commissioned, and I’m eager to start on those. (If you’re reading this: Thanks, Robin!)
I think I need to move my blog release day from Saturday to Sunday. Friday and Saturday are just a little to hectic. We’ll see …
I took Monday off for some crafting time, and it was very much what I needed.
I broke out my wood-burning tool, glitter acrylic medium, beads and more. Monday opened the door to wanting to create, and that feels good.
Mostly I’m trying to use up some of my inspirational bits and bobs. There’s no sense starting from scratch.
Here’s a quick visual journey of the rest of my week.
Here are a variety of pieces that needed to be strung, fixed with resin, beaded around, altered or assembled.
The top right two pieces will likely go to mom. I feel like I did very little to construct them and just can imagine selling them. The open circle on the bottom right is made from glitter, resin and dried flower petals from the roses I got when Slinky passed away. (sigh …)
While I was fixing a few pieces with resin, I finished a few more that incorporate foil, glitter and dried flowers. Oh! I bought a primrose yesterday and already have petals tucked away in a book. I also bought some seeds to plant that I will grow, then pick, then smash, then turn into jewelry. I’m ready to get that ball rolling.
Lastly, here are the journal covers I showed last week. I have a hope they’re salvageable. I have some ideas, but that’s what I said seven days ago. If they’re notsalvageable, that’s why the art gods gave us gesso!